A VLJ is a category of small Jet Aircraft, usually powered by 2 jet engines:
- Have a maximum take-off weight of under 10,000 pounds (4,540 kg ).
- They have pressurized passenger cabins seating a maximum of 5 passengers and 1 pilot, but are more practically flown with 4 passengers.
- They are suited for short haul to medium haul flights, range is 800 to 1,500 nautical miles, depending on load
- They fly from 340 to 380 knots.
- Annual operating expenses are slightly more than turboprops.
- They are generally flown with one pilot.
Manufacturers of very light jet aircraft include Cessna, Eclipse & Embraer